Skip to Main Content
Mechanical and physical properties of composite panels manufactured from Chinese tallow tree furnishAuthor(s): Todd F. Shupe; Leslie H. Groom; Thomas L. Eberhardt; Timothy G. Rials; Chung Y. Hse; Thomas Pesacreta
Source: Forest Products Journal, Vol. 56(6): 64-67
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (107 KB)
DescriptionChinese tallow tree is a noxious, invasive plant in the southeastern United States. It is generally considered a nuisance and has no current commercial use. The objective of this research was to determine the technical feasibility of using the stem wood of this species for particleboard, fiberboard, and structural flakeboard. Due to its rapid growth, Chinese tallow tree could be a leading raw material for bio-based composite panels. This preliminary study indicated that Chinese tallow tree can be successfully used for all three composite panel types to produce panels meeting various American National Standards Institute grades based modulus of rupture, modulus of elasticity, and internal bond.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShupe, Todd F.; Groom, Leslie H.; Eberhardt, Thomas L.; Rials, Timothy G.; Hse, Chung Y.; Pesacreta, Thomas. 2006. Mechanical and physical properties of composite panels manufactured from Chinese tallow tree furnish. Forest Products Journal, Vol. 56(6): 64-67
Keywordsfiberboard, invasive species, particleboard, stiffness, strength, utilization
- Selected mechanical and physical properties of Chinese tallow tree juvenile wood
- Mechanisms of Chinese tallow (Triadica sebifera) invasion and their management implications – A review
- Chinese tallow (Triadica sebifera) invasion in maritime forests: the role of anthropogenic disturbance and its management implication
XML: View XML