Skip to Main Content
Goals, obstacles and effective strategies of wildfire mitigation programs in the Wildland-Urban InterfaceAuthor(s): Margaret A. Reams; Terry K. Haines; Cheryl R. Renner; Michael W. Wascom; Harish Kingre
Source: Forest Policy and Economics. 7: 818-826
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (116 KB)
DescriptionThe dramatic expansion into the Wildland–Urban Interface (WUI) places property, natural assets, and human life at risk from wildfire destruction. The U.S. National Fire Plan encourages communities to implement laws and outreach programs for pre-fire planning to mitigate the risk to area residents. Starting in 2003, we surveyed the administrators of regulatory and voluntary wildfire risk reduction programs in 25 U.S. states. These state and local programs are listed on the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Forest Service’s National Wildfire Programs Database website, www.wildfireprograms.usda.gov, and are concerned with vegetation management on private lands. Analyses of the administrators’ responses suggest several new insights about these risk mitigation efforts, including 1) how they are organized, 2) what they are trying to accomplish, 3) what are the obstacles, and 4) how well they may be working. In our study we describe the goals and objectives of these programs as well as the obstacles confronting managers. Further, we explore trends in these programs including participation in collaborative planning and use of program evaluation to measure progress toward goals. Additionally, we explore the program managers’ perceptions of what are their most effective programs for creating defensible space.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationReams, Margaret A.; Haines, Terry K.; Renner, Cheryl R.; Wascom, Michael W.; Kingre, Harish. 2005. Goals, obstacles and effective strategies of wildfire mitigation programs in the Wildland-Urban Interface. Forest Policy and Economics. 7: 818-826
Keywordswildfire risk reduction, wildfire programs, wildfire mitigation, community planning
- Wildfire Mitigation and Private Lands: Managing Long-Term Vulnerabilities
- Fine-scale assessment of cross-boundary wildfire events in the western United States
- Wildfire risk and hazard: procedures for the first approximation
XML: View XML