Skip to Main Content
A GIS tool to analyze forest road sediment production and stream impactsAuthor(s): Ajay Prasad; David G. Tarboton; Charles H. Luce; Thomas A. Black
Source: 2005 ESRI International User Conference Proceedings [electronic resource]: July 25-29, 2005, San Diego, Calif. Redlands, CA: ESRI. 10 p
Publication Series: Abstract
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (225.66 KB)
DescriptionA set of GIS tools to analyze the impacts of forest roads on streams considering sediment production, mass wasting risk, and fish passage barriers, has been developed. Sediment production for each road segment is calculated from slope, length, road surface condition and road-side drain vegetation gathered by a GPS inventory and by overlaying the road path on a Digital Elevation Model (DEM). Sediment production is accumulated to drain points by adding the sediment production from contributing road segments. These drain point sediment loadings are then used in a DEM weighted flow accumulation function to calculate sediment load inputs to streams based on inventoried delivery. Inventory information on the fish passage status of stream crossings is used to demarcate contiguous clusters of stream habitat and assess the impact of fish passage barriers on the extent of habitat.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationPrasad, Ajay; Tarboton, David G.; Luce, Charles H.; Black, Thomas A. 2005. A GIS tool to analyze forest road sediment production and stream impacts. 2005 ESRI International User Conference Proceedings [electronic resource]: July 25-29, 2005, San Diego, Calif. Redlands, CA: ESRI. 10 p.
Keywordsgeographic information systems (GIS), forest roads, sedimentation, streams, environmental impacts, Digital Elevation Model (DEM)
- The Geomorphic Road Analysis and Inventory Package (GRAIP) Volume 2: Office Procedures
- Sediment production from forest road surfaces.
- Forest Road Erosion, Sediment Transport, and Model Validation in the Southern Appalachians
XML: View XML