Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Characteristics of visitors without permits compared to those with permits at the Desolation Wilderness, CaliforniaAuthor(s): Alan E. Watson
Source: Res. Note INT-414. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Intermountain Research Station. 7 p
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Intermountain Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (62 KB)
DescriptionAt the Desolation Wilderness a sample of visitors without the required use permit were asked to complete a short survey to allow them to be compared with visitors who had gotten permits. Previous research suggested that those without permits would be less experienced at the site, and be more likely to be anglers, on shorter visits, younger, in smaller groups, or with friends than visitors who had gotten permits. Some, but not all, of these earlier findings were true for the Desolation Wilderness. Additionally, visitors with permits were similar to those without permits for some important characteristics, including level of support for limiting day use, suggested party size limits, the proportion belonging to conservation groups, and the number of years since they first visited the Desolation Wilderness.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWatson, Alan E. 1993. Characteristics of visitors without permits compared to those with permits at the Desolation Wilderness, California. Res. Note INT-RN-414. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Intermountain Research Station. 7 p.
Keywordsrecreation, use restrictions, visitor management, use measurement, visitor characteristics
- Improving estimates of wilderness use from mandatory travel permits.
- Wilderness Management... A Computerized System for Summarizing Permit Information
- Donations as an alternative to wilderness user fees: the case of the desolation wilderness
XML: View XML