Skip to Main Content
User's guide to the Douglas-fir beetle impact modelAuthor(s): Michael A. Marsden; Bov B. Eav; Matthew K. Thompson
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RM-250. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station. 9 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station
Download Publication (2.4 MB)
DescriptionDouglas-fir beetle (Dendroctonus pseudotsugae Hopk.) occurs throughout the range of its principal host, Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii (Mirb.) Franco). At epidemic levels, the beetle causes considerable mortality in large-diameter Douglas-fir trees. Wind storms, drought, fire, and other factors have been reported as precedent conditions for epidemics of Douglas-fir beetle. An impact model has been developed to simulate tree mortality during such epidemics. The model has been linked to the Stand Prognosis Model (Forest Vegetation Simulator). This is a guide for using the model.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMarsden, Michael A.; Eav, Bov B.; Thompson, Matthew K. 1993. User's guide to the Douglas-fir beetle impact model. Gen. Tech. Rep. RM-GTR-250. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Forest and Range Experiment Station. 9 p.
KeywordsDendroctonus pseudotsugae, Pseudotsuga menziesii, Douglas-fir beetle, simulation, stand modeling, tree mortality, prognosis
- Predicting postfire Douglas-fir beetle attacks and tree mortality in the northern Rocky Mountains
- Probability of infestation and extent of mortality associated with the Douglas-fir beetle in the Colorado Front Range
- Within-stand spatial distribution of tree mortality caused by the Douglas-Fir beetle (Coleoptera: Scolytidae)
XML: View XML