Skip to Main Content
Mystic mountain: an educational alternative futures wildland planning gameAuthor(s): Edward C. Thor; James L. Creighton
Source: General Technical Report PSW-030. Berkeley, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station. 8 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Southwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (11.4 MB)
DescriptionAlternative futures planning is a generic name for a number of planning approaches which recognize that the future is uncertain. There is not one future, preordained and universally known, but rather a variety of possible futures, any one of which may occur. Mystic Mountain is an educational game which teaches wildland planners and managers important concepts in alternative futures planning while they attempt to manage a hypothetical national forest for 75 years. It combines education and fun in a few hours of playing time.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationThor, Edward C.; Creighton, James L. 1978. Mystic mountain: an educational alternative futures wildland planning game. General Technical Report PSW-030. Berkeley, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station. 8 p.
KeywordsForest management, resource management, futures planning, alternatives management games
- Bird Conservation Implementation and Integration in the Americas: Proceedings of the Third International Partners in Flight Conference. 2002 March 20-24; Asilomar, California, Volume 1 and 2
- Proceedings of the symposium on wildland fire 2000; April 27-30, 1987; South Lake Tahoe, California
- Challenges of Avian Conservation on Non-Federal Forests in the Pacific Northwest
XML: View XML