Skip to Main Content
Linkage mapping in a watermelon population segregating for fusarium wilt resistanceAuthor(s): Leigh K. Hawkins; Fenny Dane; Thomas L. Kubisiak; Billy B. Rhodes; Robert L. Jarret
Source: Journal of American Society for Horticultural Science. 126(3): 344-350
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (303 KB)
DescriptionIsozyme, randomly amplified polymorphic DNA (RAPD), and simple sequence repeats (SSR) markers were used to generate a linkage map in an F2 and F3 watermelon (Citrullus lanatus (Thumb.) Matsum. & Nakai) population derived from a cross between the fusarium wilt (Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. niveum) susceptible "New Hampshire Midget" and resistant PI 296341-FR. A 112.9 cM RAPD-based map consisting of 26 markers spanning two linkage groups was generated with F2 data. With F3 data, a 139 cM RAPD-based map consisting of 13 markers covering five linkage groups was constructed. Isozyme and SSR markers were unlinked. About 40 percent to 48 percent of the RAPD markers were significantly skewed from expected Mendelian segregation ratios in both generations. Bulked segregant analysis and single-factor analysis of variance were employed to identify RAPD markers linked to fusarium wilt caused by races 1 and 2 of F. oxysporum f. sp. niveum. Current linkage estimates between the resistance trait and the marker loci were too large for effective use in a marker-assisted selection program.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationHawkins, Leigh K.; Dane, Fenny; Kubisiak, Thomas L.; Rhodes, Billy B.; Jarret, Robert L. 2001. Linkage mapping in a watermelon population segregating for fusarium wilt resistance. Journal of American Society for Horticultural Science. 126(3): 344-350
- A genetic linkage map for hazelnut (Corylus avellana L.) based on RAPD and SSR markerswac
- Comprehensive molecular cytogenetic analysis of sorghum genome architecture: distribution of euchromatin, heterochromatin, genes and recombination in comparison to rice
- Gene action and linkage of avirulence genes to DNA makers in the rust fungus Puccinia graminis
XML: View XML