Skip to Main Content
Sediment Export from Forest Road Turn-outs: A Study Design and Preliminary ResultsAuthor(s): Johnny M. Grace
Source: Paper No. 987026 An ASAE Meeting Presentation, Written for Presentation at the 1998 ASAE Annual International Meeting Sponsored by ASAE
Publication Series: Paper (invited, offered, keynote)
PDF: Download Publication (134.0 KB)
DescriptionThis paper reports the design and preliminary results of a study that evaluates the effects of commonly prescribed forest road runoff control treatments. A study design which utilizes runoff samplers, runoff diversion walls, sediment filter bags, and erosion stakes to evaluate sediment transport through runoff control treatments is documented. The study design will evaluate the effectiveness of four road turn-out ditch treatments: vegetation, rip-rap, sediment fences, and settling basins, in reducing sediment export onto the forest floor. Turn-out erosion control treatments were installed on a site located in central Alabama on the Tuskegee National Forest. Preliminary data show that the settling basin is most effective in filtering sediment laden runoff and yields the least sediment deposition downslope of treatment areas.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGrace, Johnny M.,III. 1998. Sediment Export from Forest Road Turn-outs: A Study Design and Preliminary Results. Paper No. 987026 An ASAE Meeting Presentation, Written for Presentation at the 1998 ASAE Annual International Meeting Sponsored by ASAE
Keywordsforest roads, soil erosion, conservation practices, surface runoff
- Surface Erosion Control Techniques on Newly Constructed Forest Roads
- Silt fences: An economical technique for measuring hillslope soil erosion
- Evaluating the effectiveness of burned area emergency response (BAER) efforts after the 2003 wildfires, southern California
XML: View XML