Skip to Main Content
Detection surveys for fishers and american martens in California, 1989-1994: summary and interpertationsAuthor(s): William J. Zielinski; Richard L. Truex; Chester V. Ogan; Kelly Busse
Source: <i>Martes</i>: taxonomy, ecology, techniques, and management, p. 372-392
Publication Series: Book Chapter
PDF: View PDF (1.4 MB)
DescriptionCommercial trapping of fishers (Martes pennanti) and American martens (M. americana) has been prohibited in California since the mid-1900's, yet concern continues to exist about the status of their populations. Recently developed methods for detecting the presence of forest carnivores have made it possible to estimate their distributions and, potentially, to index their populations. We summarize the characteristics and results of track-plate and line-triggered camera surveys that were condtucted in California to determine the presence of fishers or martens in areas scheduled for timber harvest or recreational development. Our objectives were to examine the relationship of survey characteristics to survey success and to compile information that can be used to improve detection methods and refine proposals for monitoring population abundance. Secondarily, we mapped the survey locations and results to help describe the current distribution of Martes in California.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationZielinski, William J.; Truex, Richard L.; Ogan, Chester V.; Busse, Kelly. 1997. Detection surveys for fishers and american martens in California, 1989-1994: summary and interpertations. Martes: taxonomy, ecology, techniques, and management, p. 372-392
- Diets of sympatric populations of American martens (Martes americana) and fishers (Martes pennanti) in California
- Historical perspective on the reintroduction of the fisher and American marten in Michigan and Wisconsin
- Determining the gender of American martens and fishers at track plate stations
XML: View XML