Skip to Main Content
Current distribution of the american marten, Martes americana, in CaliforniaAuthor(s): Thomas E. Kurcera; William J. Zielinski; Reginald H. Barrett
Source: California Fish and Game 81(3):96-103
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (2.0 MB)
DescriptionWe describe the current distribution of the American marten, Martes americana, in California based on field surveys conducted between 1989 and 1995 that used either sooted track-plates or cameras. The Sierra Nevada marten, M. a. sierrae, occupies much of its historic range from northwestern Shasta County to the southern Sierra Nevada. The Humboldt marten, M. a. humboldtensis, in Humboldt and Del Norte counties, is extremely rare or extinct. We recommend defining the current distributions of rare or secretive species by techniques that produce verifiable records rather than relying on historic or anecdotal reports.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
CitationKurcera, Thomas E.; Zielinski, William J.; Barrett, Reginald H. 1996. Current distribution of the american marten, Martes americana, in California. California Fish and Game 81(3):96-103
- Conservation status of American martens and fishers in the Klamath-Siskiyou bioregion
- Ecology of American martens in coastal northwestern California
- Distribution and broadscale habitat relations of the wolverine in the contiguous United States
XML: View XML