Skip to Main Content
A throughfall collection method using mixed bed ion exchange resin columnsAuthor(s): Mark E. Fenn; Mark A. Poth; Michael J. Arbaugh
Source: The Scientific World Journal 2:122-130
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (529 KB)
DescriptionMeasurement of ionic deposition in throughfall is a widely used method for measuring deposition inputs to the forest floor. Many studies have been published, providing a large database of throughfall deposition inputs to forests. However, throughfall collection and analysis is labor intensive and expensive because of the large number of replicate collectors needed and because sample collection and chemical analyses are required on a stochastic precipitation eventbased schedule. Therefore we developed and tested a throughfall collector system using a mixed bed ion exchange resin column. We anticipate that this method will typically require only one to three samplings per year. With this method, bulk deposition and bulk throughfall are collected by a funnel or snow tube and ions are retained as the solution percolates through the resin column. Ions retained by the resin are then extracted in the same column with 2 N KCl and analyzed for nitrate and ammonium.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFenn, Mark E.; Poth, Mark A.; Arbaugh, Michael J. 2002. A throughfall collection method using mixed bed ion exchange resin columns. The Scientific World Journal 2:122-130
KeywordsIon exchange resin, nitrogen deposition, throughfall, throughfall collector
- Monitoring nitrogen deposition in throughfall using ion exchange resin columns
- Atmospheric deposition of inorganic nitrogen in Spanish forests of Quercus ilex measured with ion-exchange resins and conventional collectors
- Atmospheric deposition of nitrogen and sulfur and preferential canopy consumption of nitrate in forests of the Pacific Northwest, USA
XML: View XML