Skip to Main Content
Lady beetles (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) from Chinese hemlocks infested with the hemlock woolly adelgid, Adelges tsugae Annand (Homoptera: Adelgidae)Author(s): Gouyue Yu; Michael E. Montgomery; Defu Yao
Source: The Coleopterists Bulletin. 54(2): 154-199.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (438.09 KB)
DescriptionFifty-four species of lady beetles were collected from three Chinese hemlock species, Tsuga dumosa (D. Don) Eichler, T. forrestii Downie and T. chinensis (Franchet) Pritzel, in Yunnan, Sichuan and Shaanxi provinces of China as part of a search for natural enemies of the hemlock woolly adelgid, Adelges tsugae Annand. Twenty new species are described: Clitostethus wenbishanus Yu, Scymnus (Neopullus) ningshanensis Yu and Yao, S. (N.) lijiangensis Yu, S. (N.) lycotropus Yu, S. (N.) nigromarginalis Yu, S. (Parapullus) tsugae Yu and Yao, S. (Scymnus) unciformis Yu, S. (S.) paracrinitus Yu, S. (Pullus) nigrobasalis Yu, S. (P.) baoxingensis Yu, S. (P.) gucheng Yu, S. (P.) geminus Yu and Montgomery, S. (P.) heyuanus Yu, S. (P.) robustibasalis Yu, S. (P.) jaculatorius Yu, Pseudoscymnus heijia Yu and Montgomery, P. ocellatus Yu, Shirozuella quadrimacularis Yu, and Sh. nibagou Yu. New synonyms placed here are: Oenopia yunlongensis Jing for O. deqenensis Jing, and O. pomiensis Jing, O. gonggarensis Jing and O. picithoroxa Jing for O. billieti (Mulsant). Harmonia quadripunctata (Pontoppidan) is a new record for China. Keys are provided to separate the known species of Clitostethus Wiese, Scymnus (Neopullus) Sasaji, and Scymnus (Scymnus) Kugelann in China. Nine species are recorded as predators of the hemlock woolly adelgid: Oenopia billieti (Mulsant), Adalia conglomerata (L.), Calvia championorum Booth, P. ocellatus, S. (N.) camptodromus Yu et Liu, S. (N.) sinuanodulus Yu et Yao, S. (N.) ningshanensis, S. (P.) yunshanpingensis Yu, and S. (P.) geminus.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, firstname.lastname@example.org if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationYu, Gouyue; Montgomery, Michael E.; Yao, Defu. 2000. Lady beetles (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) from Chinese hemlocks infested with the hemlock woolly adelgid, Adelges tsugae Annand (Homoptera: Adelgidae). The Coleopterists Bulletin. 54(2): 154-199.
- Biology of Scymnus ningshanensis (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae): A predator of Adelges tsugae (Homoptera: Adelgidae)
- Comparative biology of three Scymnus lady beetles (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae): predators of Adelges tsugae (Homoptera: Adelgidae)
- Comparative impact of Scymnus ningshanensis and Pseudoscymnus tsugae (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) on the hemlock woolly adelgid
XML: View XML