Skip to Main Content
Forest owner incentives to protect riparian habitat.Author(s): Jeffrey D. Kline; Ralph J. Alig; Rebecca L. Johnson
Source: Ecological Economics. 33: 29-43
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (1.6 MB)
DescriptionPrivate landowners increasingly are asked to cooperate with landscape-level management to protect or enhance ecological resources. We examine the willingness of nonindustrial private forest owners in the Pacific Northwest (USA) to forego harvesting within riparian areas to improve riparian habitat. An empirical model is developed describing owners' willingness to accept an economic incentive to adopt a 200-foot harvest buffer along streams as a function of their forest ownership objectives and socioeconomic characteristics. Results suggest that owners' willingness to forego harvest varies by their forest ownership objectives, Mean incentive payments necessary to induce owners to forego harvest in riparian areas are higher for owners possessing primarily timber objectives ($128-137/acre/year) than for owners possessing both timber and nontimber objectives ($54-69/acre/year) or primarily recreation objectives ($38-57/acre/year).
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKline, Jeffrey D.; Alig, Ralph J.; Johnson, Rebecca L. 2000. Forest owner incentives to protect riparian habitat. Ecological Economics. 33: 29-43
KeywordsEcosystem management, endangered species, nonindustrial private forest owners
- Fostering the production of nontimber services among forest owners with heterogeneous objectives.
- The timber resources of the Inland Empire area, Washington.
- The forest-land owners of New Jersey
XML: View XML