Skip to Main Content
Fostering the production of nontimber services among forest owners with heterogeneous objectives.Author(s): Jeffrey D. Kline; Ralph J. Alig; Rebecca L. Johnson
Source: Forest Science. 46(2): 302-311
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (1.3 MB)
DescriptionPrograms to enhance nontimber services increasingly focus on nonindustrial private forest (NIPF) owners. These owners are believed to possess multiple objectives, causing them to respond to economic forces and policies in complex and unpredictable ways. We examine NIPF owners in western Oregon and western Washington, using a survey to document their forest ownership objectives and willingness to accept incentive payments to forego harvesting to improve wildlife habitat. An empirical model is developed describing owners' willingness to accept incentive payments to delay harvest, as a function of their forest ownership objectives and socioeconomic characteristics. Mean incentive payments necessary to induce owners to forego harvest are higher for owners possessing primarily timber objectives ($301-314/ha/yr), than for owners possessing both timber and nontimber objectives ($254-257/ha/yr) or primarily recreation objectives ($185-210/ha/yr). An estimated supply curve describing the area of NIPF land on which owners would forego harvesting for 10 yr varies from relatively flat to fairly steep. Although many owners would require little or no incentive to forego harvest, others would require a significant incentive. Nontimber services likely could be enhanced by targeting incentive programs or technical assistance toward NIPF owners possessing nontimber objectives.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKline, Jeffrey D.; Alig, Ralph J.; Johnson, Rebecca L. 2000. Fostering the production of nontimber services among forest owners with heterogeneous objectives. Forest Science. 46(2): 302-311
KeywordsForest policy, nonindustrial private forest owners, endangered species, carbon sequestration
- Forest owner incentives to protect riparian habitat.
- Incentives for biodiversity conservation beyond the best management practices: are forestland owners interested
- Estimating relative values for multiple objectives on private forests
XML: View XML