Skip to Main Content
Arc Habitat Suitability Index computer softwareAuthor(s): Thomas M. Juntti; Mark A. Rumble
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-180. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 31 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
Download Publication (1.0 MB)
DescriptionThis user manual describes the Arc Habitat Suitability Index (ArcHSI), which is a geographical information system (GIS) model that estimates the ability of an area to meet the food and cover requirements of an animal species. The components and parameters of the model occur in tables and can be easily edited or otherwise modified. ArcHSI runs on personal computers with the full installation of ArcGIS (Version 8.2+). ArcHSI is a tool intended to inform planners of the probable impacts on wildlife for the alternatives they develop, and it augments, rather than supplants, the expertise of resource specialists with site-specific knowledge. System requirements are platform specific, but a typical system requires 512 megabytes RAM and a 1 gHz CPU. A Unix ArcINFO version is also available. We have included a demonstration (see DEMONSTRATION) that provides a step-by-step tour of the software, including setting up the first run; interpreting, formatting, and analyzing output; and identifying and solving the most common problems experienced by new users.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationJuntti, Thomas M.; Rumble, Mark A. 2006. Arc Habitat Suitability Index computer software. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-180. Fort. Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 31 p.
KeywordsArc Habitat Suitability Index, ArcHSI, geographical information system, GIS, food and cover requirements, animal species, wildlife
- BehavePlus fire modeling system, version 5.0: Variables
- ROMI 4.0: Updated Rough Mill Simulator
- FireBuster: a tool for fire management
XML: View XML