Monitoring Science and Technology Symposium: Unifying Knowledge for Sustainability in the Western HemisphereAuthor(s): C. Aguirre-Bravo; Patrick J. Pellicane; Denver P. Burns; Sidney Draggan
Source: Proceedings RMRS-P-42CD. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 990 p.
Publication Series: Proceedings (P)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (47.1 MB)
DescriptionA rational approach to monitoring and assessment is prerequisite for sustainable management of ecosystem resources. This features innovative ways to advance the concept of monitoring ecosystem sustainability across spheres of environmental concern, natural and anthropogenic processes, and other hemispheric issues over a variety of spatial scales and resolution levels. Individuals and institutions, committed to mutual sustainability of ecosystem resources and human institutions, shared experiences and outlined a foundation for advancing the science and practice of monitoring and assessment at multiple geographical and organizational scales. Questions addressed in the proceedings papers include: What is the status and condition, and what are the trends in ecosystem sustainability? What are the strategies and opportunities for solving the sustainability dilemma? What are the individual and institutional responses to the sustainability challenge? Discussion during the symposium fostered the creation of coherent and unified ecosystem resource sustainability assessments and syntheses valuable to support environmental management and decision-making processes. The proceedings is a testimonial to the wealth of information presented at the symposium and a positive indicator of inter- and transdisciplinary scientific and technical success.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationAguirre-Bravo, C.; Pellicane, Patrick J.; Burns, Denver P.; and Draggan, Sidney, Eds. 2006. Monitoring Science and Technology Symposium: Unifying Knowledge for Sustainability in the Western Hemisphere. Proceedings RMRS-P-42CD. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 990 p.
Keywordsmonitoring, assessment, sustainability, Western Hemisphere, sustainable management, ecosystem resources
- A conceptual view for advancing monitoring and assessment of land resources in the Mexican state of Jalisco
- Resource-Balance Design and Monitoring: Assessing Sustainability of FSEEC-LandLab as BSU's First Sustainable Built-site
- Rio Grande ecosystems: linking land, water, and people: Toward a sustainable future for the Middle Rio Grande Basin
XML: View XML