Skip to Main Content
The effect of fallow on Longidorus americanus, a nematode associated with stunting of loblolly pine seedlings in Georgia, USAAuthor(s): Stephen W. Fraedrich; Michelle M. Cram; Stanley J. Zarnoch
Source: Nematology, Vol. 7(4): 487-493
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (228 KB)
DescriptionStunting of loblolly pine (Pinue taeda L.) seedlings, caused by Longidorus americanus, has been a problem at a Georgia (USA) nursery. Field and growth chamber studies were conducted to determine the survivability of the nematode in a fallow nursery soil. The population density of L. americanus decreased rapidly in the upper 15 cm of soil in fallow field plots during the first 101 days and the nematode was not detected after 263 days. Bioassays subsequently failed to detect the nematode in the upper 30 cm of soil in fallow plots on days 263 and 365. Population densities also decreased rapidly in fallow soil during the initial 130 days of the growth chamber study and the nematode was not detected at days 334 and 427, or in subsequent bioassays. Longidorus americanus does not survive well in the upper 15-30 cm of nursery soil in the absence of a host, and the use of fallow may be an acceptable alternative to pesticides for the management of this nematode.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFraedrich, Stephen W.; Cram, Michelle M.; Zarnoch, Stanley J. 2005. The effect of fallow on Longidorus americanus, a nematode associated with stunting of loblolly pine seedlings in Georgia, USA. Nematology, Vol. 7(4): 487-493
Keywordsforest-tree nursery, nematode control, pest management
- Biology and management of Longidorus americanus in a southern USA nursery
- Suitability of Southern Pines, Other Selected Crops, and Nutsedge to a Longidorus sp. Associated with Stunting of Loblolly Pine Seedlings
- The Association of a Longidorus Species with Stunting and Root Damage of Loblolly Pine (Pinus taeda L.) Seedlings
XML: View XML