Skip to Main Content
Federal and state approaches to salmon recovery at the millenium.Author(s): Peter A. Bisson; James A. Lichatowich; William J. Liss; Daniel Goodman; Charles C. Coutant; Lyman McDonald; Dennis Lettenmeier; Eric J. Loudenslager; Richard N. Williams
Source: In: Return to the River, Ch. 12: 2-38
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (2.15 MB)
DescriptionIn this chapter, we describe the recent federal stance on restructuring the Columbia River federal hydroelectric system to aid salmonid recovery actions as outlined in the National Marine Fisheries Service's 2000 Biological Opinion and related documents. We also place these documents and the actions they call for within the context of recent (2001) energy and water shortages, exacerbated by the region's widespread drought conditions. We describe how these actions and approaches fail to incorporate key critical information related to salmonid life history and ecology, and therefore, why most upriver salmon and steelhead populations will remain at high risk of extinction in spite of a 'new' salmon recovery plan.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationBisson, Peter A.; Lichatowich, James A.; Liss, William J.; Goodman, Daniel; Coutant, Charles C.; McDonald, Lyman; Lettenmeier, Dennis; Loudenslager, Eric J.; Williams, Richard N. 2006. Federal and state approaches to salmon recovery at the millenium. In: Return to the River, Ch. 12: 2-38
- Modeling relationships between landscape-level attributes and snorkel counts of chinook salmon and steelhead parr in Idaho
- An expert panel approach to assessing potential effects of bull trout reintroduction on federally listed salmonids in the Clackamas River, Oregon
- Seasonal changes in habitat availability and the distribution and abundance of salmonids along a stream gradient from headwaters to mouth in coastal Oregon
XML: View XML