Skip to Main Content
Response of understory vegetation important to the northern bobwhite following imazapyr and mechanical treatments.Author(s): James R. Welch; Karl K. Miller; William E. Palmer; Timothy B. Harrington
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (684 KB)
DescriptionIn southern pine (Pinus spp.) stands, managers have used a variety of treatments to control hardwood encroachment and improve habitat conditions for northern bobwhites (Colinus virginianus). We compared use of the herbicide Arsenal® (BASF Corporation, Research Triangle Park, N.C.) (imazapyr) and traditional mechanical treatments, with and without fire, to control hardwood encroachment on study sites on Tall Timbers Research Station in the Red Hills Region near Tallahassee, Florida. Hardwood stem density decreased on herbicide and herbicide+burn plots but increased on all mechanically treated plots at 1 year after treatment. Herbicide and herbicide+burn treatments resulted in a > 3-fold increase in forb coverage 1 year after treatment, whereas forb coverage did not increase in mechanically treated plots. A single application of imazapyr, with or without prescribed fire, can control hardwood encroachment and stimulate herbaceous species growth. Following treatment, vegetative communities likely can be maintained for prolonged periods by using traditional methods such as prescribed fire.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationWelch, James R.; Miller, Karl K.; Palmer, William E.; Harrington, Timothy B. 2004. Response of understory vegetation important to the northern bobwhite following imazapyr and mechanical treatments. null
KeywordsArsenal®, Colinus virginianus, habitat, herbicide, imazapyr, northern bobwhite, vegetation
- Kudzu (Pueraria montana) community responses to herbicides, burning, and high-density loblolly pine.
- Overstory and understory relationships in longleaf pine plantations 14 years after thinning and woody control
- Effects of precommercial thinning and midstory control on avian and small mammal communities during longleaf pine Savanna restoration
XML: View XML