Skip to Main Content
Long-term research at the USDA Forest Service's experimental forests and ranges.Author(s): Ariel D. Lugo; Frederick J. Swanson; Olga Ramos González; Mary Beth Adams; Brian Palik; Ronald E. Thill; Dale G. Brockway; Christel Kern; Richard Woodsmith; Robert Musselman
Source: BioScience. 56(1): 39-48
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (1.7 MB)
DescriptionThe network of experimental forests and ranges administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service consists of 77 properties that are representative of most forest cover types and many ecological regions in the Nation. Established as early as 1908, these sites maintain exceptional, long-term databases on environmental dynamics and biotic responses. Early research at these sites focused on silviculture, ecosystem restoration, and watershed management. Over time, many of the properties have evolved into a functional network of ecological observatories through common large-scale, long-term experiments and other approaches. Collaboration with other institutions and research programs fosters intersite research and common procedures for managing and sharing data. Much current research in this network focuses on global change and interdisciplinary ecosystem studies at local to global scales. With this experience in developing networks and compiling records of environmental history, the experimental forests and ranges network can contribute greatly to formation of new networks of environmental observatories.
- Check the Northern Research Station web site to request a printed copy of this publication.
- Our on-line publications are scanned and captured using Adobe Acrobat.
- During the capture process some typographical errors may occur.
- Please contact Sharon Hobrla, email@example.com if you notice any errors which make this publication unusable.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLugo, Ariel D.; Swanson, Frederick J.; González, Olga Ramos; Adams, Mary Beth; Palik, Brian; Thill, Ronald E.; Brockway, Dale G.; Kern, Christel; Woodsmith, Richard; Musselman, Robert. 2006. Long-term research at the USDA Forest Service''s experimental forests and ranges. BioScience. 56(1): 39-48
KeywordsExperimental forests, experimental rangelands, research networks, global change science, silviculture.
- Long-term ecological research in a human-dominated world
- US Forest Service Experimental Forests and Ranges Network: a continental research platform for catchment-scale research
- A network of experimental forests and ranges: Providing soil solutions for a changing world
XML: View XML