Skip to Main Content
Antioxidant activity of extracts from the bark of Chamaecyparis lawsoniana (A. Murrary) Parl.Author(s): Heng Gao; Todd F. Shupe; Chung Y. Hse; Thomas L. Eberhardt
Source: Holzforschung, Vol. 60: 459-462
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (132 KB)
DescriptionThe bark of Chamaecyparis lawsoniana (A. Murray) Parl. was extracted with methanol and sequentially partitioned with n-hexane, ethyl acetate, n-butanol and deionized water. The antioxidant activities of the four extracts were evaluated using the DPPH• and ABTS+• methods. The total phenolic content of the extracts was determined using the Folin-Ciocalteu method and expressed as gallic acid equivalents (GAE). Butylated hydroxytoluene was used as a positive control in the radical-scavenging activity tests. All the bark extracts showed significant radical-scavenging activity. In the ABTS+• assay, n-butanol extracts exhibited the strongest radical-scavenging activity, followed by ethyl acetate, water, and n-hexane extracts. The greatest total phenolic content was 428.54 mg GAE per gram of dry extract and was detected in the n-butanol extract, followed by the ethyl acetate and n-hexane extracts. The antioxidant activities correlate with the amount of phenolics present in these extracts. The ethyl acetate and n-butanol extracts were rich in phenolics and may represent a good source of antioxidants.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGao, Heng; Shupe, Todd F.; Hse, Chung Y.; Eberhardt, Thomas L. 2006. Antioxidant activity of extracts from the bark of Chamaecyparis lawsoniana (A. Murrary) Parl. Holzforschung, Vol. 60: 459-462
Keywordsantioxidant activity, Folin-Ciocalteu method, free radical scavenger, methanol extracts, Port-Orford cedar, total phenolic content
- Antioxidant activity of extracts from the wood and bark of Port OrFord cedar
- Ecology, pathology, and management of Port-Orford-Cedar (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana).
- Operational program to develop Phytophthora lateralis-resistant populations of Port-Orford-cedar (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana)
XML: View XML