Skip to Main Content
Transfer of chlorfenapyr among workers of Reticulitermes flavipes (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) in the laboratoryAuthor(s): Thomas G. Shelton; Joseph E. Mulroonery; Terence L. Wagner
Source: J. Econ. Entomol., Vol.99(3): 886-892
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.24 MB)
DescriptionThe potential for transfer of chlorfenapyr among subterranean termites was investigated using a donor-recipient (5:95 ratio) experiment. In one experiment, workers of Reticulitermes flavipeS(Kollar) (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) were exposed to treated sand at 0,50,100,250, and 500 ppm chlorfenapyr (wt [AI] /wt sand). Exposed workers were allowed to interact with untreated nestmates for 14 d, after which mortality was assessed. The three colonies responded differently to the treatments in this experiment. For two colonies, donor exposure rates of 500 ppm (as well as 250 ppin for colony B) chlorfenapyr resulted in significantly greater recipient mortality than controls. For colony C, donor chlorfenapyr exposure did not significantly influence recipient mortality. In a second experiment examining donor mortality over time, donor tennites exposed to a11 test concentrations of chlorfenapyr (except for 0 ppm) suffered 100% mortality within 5 d. Analysis of donor termite body washes using gas chromatography indicated a linear uptake of chlorfenapyr by termites over the concentration range studied. Thus, for this concentration range, no upper limit (saturation plateau) of temGte uptake for chlorfenapyr was reached.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShelton, Thomas G.; Mulroonery, Joseph E.; Wagner, Terence L. 2006. Transfer of chlorfenapyr among workers of Reticulitermes flavipes (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) in the laboratory. J. Econ. Entomol., Vol.99(3): 886-892
- Activity of Reticulitermes flavipes (Isoptera: Rhinotermitidae) Exposed to Nestmates Treated with Slow-Acting Nonrepellent Termiticides
- Assessment of donor/recipient ratios in permethrin transfer studies with Reticulitermes virginicus Banks
- Tunneling and activity of reticulitermes flavipes (isoptera: rhinotermitidae) exposed to low concentrations of nonrepellent termiticides
XML: View XML