Skip to Main Content
Utilization and cost of log production from animal loging operationsAuthor(s): Suraj P. Shrestha; Bobby L. Lanford; Robert B. Rummer; Mark Dubois
Source: International Journal of Forest Engineering: 167-180
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (329 KB)
DescriptionForest harvesting with animals is a labor-intensive operation. It is expensive to use machines on smaller woodlots, which require frequent moves if mechanically logged. So, small logging systems using animals may be more cost effective. In this study, work sampling was used for five animal logging operations in Alabama to measure productive and non-productive time elements to determine utilization with respect to operators, functions (felling and processing of trees, skidding, loading, and forwarding of logs), animals, and machines. Cost of log production was calculated from the figures reported by owners and the crew members. Average utilization of crew was 58 percent, animals (horses and mules) were utilized only 22 percent and the machines were utilized from 5 to 74 percent of scheduled time. Average cost of log production per m3 was $11.28. There appears to be an opportunity to reduce cost of log production by coordinating functions, increasing scheduled work hours, utilization of machines and animals, and reducing labor cost.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationShrestha, Suraj P.; Lanford, Bobby L.; Rummer, Robert B.; Dubois, Mark. 2006. Utilization and cost of log production from animal loging operations. International Journal of Forest Engineering: 167-180
- Utilization and cost for animal logging operations
- Costs of logging thinnings and a clearcutting in Appalachia using a truck-mounted crane
- Calculating utilization rates for rubber tired grapple skidders in the Southern United States
XML: View XML