Skip to Main Content
Fire growth maps for the 1988 Greater Yellowstone Area FiresAuthor(s): Richard C. Rothermel; Roberta A Hartford; Carolyn H. Chase
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. INT-304. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Intermountain Research Station. 64 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Intermountain Forest Experiment Station
View PDF (870 B)
DescriptionDaily fire growth maps display the growth of the 1988 fires in the Greater Yellowstone Area. Information and data sources included daily infrared photography flights, satellite imagery, ground and aerial reconnaissance, command center intelligence, and the personal recollections of fire behavior observers. Fire position was digitized from topographic maps using GRASS GIS software to construct a file of daily fire location in vector format, later converted to raster format for further analysis. The data base is available in electronic form.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRothermel, Richard C.; Hartford, Roberta A,; Chase, Carolyn H. 1994. Fire growth maps for the 1988 Greater Yellowstone Area Fires. Gen. Tech. Rep. INT-GTR-304. Ogden, UT: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Intermountain Research Station. 64 p.
Keywordsforest fires, fire growth, geographic information systems, Yellowstone National Park, fire mapping
- Observing The Dynamics Of Wildland Grass Fires: FireFlux -A Field Validation Experiment
- The effects of fire events on soil geochemistry in semi-arid grasslands
- Fire effects on a fire-adapted species: response of grass stage longleaf pine seedlings to experimental burning
XML: View XML