Skip to Main Content
Chapter 2 - An overview of the LANDFIRE Prototype ProjectAuthor(s): Matthew G. Rollins; Robert E. Keane; Zhiliang Zhu; James P. Menakis
Source: In: Rollins, Matthew G.; Frame, Christine K., tech. eds. 2006. The LANDFIRE Prototype Project: nationally consistent and locally relevant geospatial data for wildland fire management Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-175. Fort Collins: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 5-43
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1 MB)
DescriptionThis chapter describes the background and design of the Landscape Fire and Resource Management Planning Tools Prototype Project, or LANDFIRE Prototype Project, which was a sub-regional, proof-of-concept effort designed to develop methods and applications for providing the high-resolution data (30-m pixel) needed to support wildland fire management and to implement the National Fire Plan and Healthy Forests Restoration Act. In addition, this chapter provides synopses of the many interrelated procedures necessary for development of the 24 LANDFIRE Prototype products (see table 1 and appendix 2-A). Throughout this chapter, direction is provided for where, in this report and elsewhere, additional detailed information is available.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRollins, Matthew G.; Keane, Robert E.; Zhu, Zhiliang; Menakis, James P. 2006. Chapter 2 - An overview of the LANDFIRE Prototype Project. In: Rollins, Matthew G.; Frame, Christine K., tech. eds. 2006. The LANDFIRE Prototype Project: nationally consistent and locally relevant geospatial data for wildland fire management Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-175. Fort Collins: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 5-43
Keywordsmapping wildland fuel, mapping fire regimes, Geographic Information Systems, GIS, remote sensing, fire ecology, fire behavior, wildland fire management
- Chapter 4 - The LANDFIRE Prototype Project reference database
- Chapter 13 - Perspectives on LANDFIRE Prototype Project Accuracy Assessment
- Chapter 7 - Mapping potential vegetation type for the LANDFIRE Prototype Project
XML: View XML