Skip to Main Content
Chapter 4 - The LANDFIRE Prototype Project reference databaseAuthor(s): John F. Caratti
Source: In: Rollins, Matthew G.; Frame, Christine K., tech. eds. 2006. The LANDFIRE Prototype Project: nationally consistent and locally relevant geospatial data for wildland fire management Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-175. Fort Collins: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 69-98
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.9 MB)
DescriptionThis chapter describes the data compilation process for the Landscape Fire and Resource Management Planning Tools Prototype Project (LANDFIRE Prototype Project) reference database (LFRDB) and explains the reference data applications for LANDFIRE Prototype maps and models. The reference database formed the foundation for all LANDFIRE tasks. All products generated by the LANDFIRE Prototype Project were developed from field-referenced data collected by resource professionals and screened for quality and consistency by the LFRDB team (Keane and Rollins, Chapter 3), ensuring that each LANDFIRE data layer could be recreated and improved upon with the availability of new data. Field-referenced data provided a means of assessing the accuracy of many LANDFIRE Prototype products. The LFRDB integrated field-referenced data collected for many separate projects that used different sampling methods and had varying sampling intensities. See appendix 2-A in Rollins and others, Ch. 2 for a table outlining, in part, the procedure used to build the LFRDB.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCaratti, John F. 2006. Chapter 4 - The LANDFIRE Prototype Project reference database. In: Rollins, Matthew G.; Frame, Christine K., tech. eds. 2006. The LANDFIRE Prototype Project: nationally consistent and locally relevant geospatial data for wildland fire management Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-175. Fort Collins: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. p. 69-98
Keywordsmapping wildland fuel, mapping fire regimes, Geographic Information Systems, GIS, remote sensing, fire ecology, fire behavior, wildland fire management
- Chapter 13 - Perspectives on LANDFIRE Prototype Project Accuracy Assessment
- Chapter 12 - Mapping wildland fuel across large regions for the LANDFIRE Prototype Project
- Chapter 6 - Developing the LANDFIRE Vegetation and Biophysical Settings Map Unit Classifications for the LANDFIRE Prototype Project
XML: View XML