Skip to Main Content
Complete excavation and mapping of a Texas leafcutting ant nestAuthor(s): John C. Moser
Source: Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am., Vol. 99(5): 891-897
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (1.01 MB)
DescriptionA medium-sized nest of the Texas leafcutting ant, Atta texana (Buckley), in northern Louisiana was excavated completely, and a three-dimensional model of its external and subterranean features was constructed. In total, 97 fungus gardens, 27 dormancy cavities, and 45 detritus cavities were located. At the lower center of the funnel-shaped nest was a large central cavity, which in winter functions as a domicile for the colony and where the alate brood is reared. Vertical tunnels, possibly as deep as 32 m, may serve as wells leading to the water table. Winter mean annual temperatures within the central cavity may limit the northern geographical range of A. texana to =33" N latitude. The inquilines Attaphila fungicola Wheeler, Pholeomyia comans Sabrosky, Ceuthophilus sp., Lobopoda subcuneatus Campbell, GeomysaprinusM/i> nr. formicus (Hinton), species of Aleocharinae, and a species of Annelida were seen in nest cavities and galleries.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationMoser, John C. 2006. Complete excavation and mapping of a Texas leafcutting ant nest. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am., Vol. 99(5): 891-897
KeywordsAtta texana, next excavation, central cavity, feeder holes, fungus gardens
- Mating activities of Atta texana (Hymenoptera, Formicidae)
- Contents and Structure Atta texana Nest in Summer
- Invertebrate enemies and nest associates of the leaf-cutting ant Atta texana (Buckley) (Formicudae, Attini)
XML: View XML