Skip to Main Content
Impact of Platysoma parallelum and Plegaderus transversus (Coleoptera: Histeridae) predation on developing Ips calligraphus and Ips grandicollis (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) broodAuthor(s): William P. Shepherd; Richard A. Goyer
Source: J. Entomol. Sci. 40(1): 80-87
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (400 KB)
DescriptionAs a group, arthropod natural enemies have been shown to substantially reduce within-tree pine bark beetle populations. However, little is known about the impacts of individual species on bark beetle mortality. In a controlled laboratory study, we measured the effects of two predaceous histerid species, Platysoma parallelum (Say) and Plegaderus transversus (Say), on Ips calligraphus (Germar) and Ips grandicollis (Eichhoff) brood mortality. Platysoma parallelum was found to have a greater impact on I. grandicollis mortality than Ple. transversus when only one histerid and prey species were present. No significant differences in I. calligraphus mortality were observed for either of the two histerid species. More I. grandicollis brood was killed per introduced Pla. parallelum adult than per introduced Ple. transversus adult likely as a result of the larger size and biomass requirements of Pla. parallelum. The results of this experiment indicate that histerids, by themselves, have the ability to lower within-tree bark beetle populations and could have potential use in a bark beetle biological control program.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
Citationshepherd, William P.; Goyer, Richard A. 2005. Impact of Platysoma parallelum and Plegaderus transversus (Coleoptera: Histeridae) predation on developing Ips calligraphus and Ips grandicollis (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) brood. J. Entomol. Sci. 40(1):80-87.
KeywordsHisteridae, scolytidae, Platysoma parallelum, Plegaderus transversus, Ips, predation
- Seasonal abundance, arrival and emergence patterns of predaceous hister beetles (Coleoptera: Histeridae) associated with Ips engraver beetles (Coleoptera: Scolytidae) in Louisiana
- Role of Ipsdienol, Ipsenol, and cis-Verbenol in chemical ecology of Ips avulsus, Ips calligraphus, and Ips grandicollis (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae)
- Kairomonal responses of natural enemies and associates of the Southern Ips (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae) to Ipsdienol, Ipsenol and Cis-Verbenol
XML: View XML