Skip to Main Content
On the road: workable solutions to the problems of roads and highwaysAuthor(s): Mary M. Rowland
Source: The Prairie Naturalist. 36(3): 198-200
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (170 KB)
DescriptionFourteen authors, ranging from transportation specialists to ecologists, have collaborated to write this very useful compendium describing the newly minted discipline of "road ecology." The authors state that road ecology "uses the science of ecology and landscape ecology to explore, understand, and address the interactions of roads and vehicles with their surrounding environment." The book is not aimed at ecologists; rather, the book's intended primary audience is people associated with transportation, including engineers, planners, environmental specialists, economists, and social scientists. This perspective is one of the most beneficial aspects of the book. Although a large body of road-related literature is found in ecological journals, that literature may not be widely read by the engineers and planners who actually design and construct the nation's vast network of roads. The multidisciplinary focus of the book is revealed by its sponsors: the Federal Highway Administration, California Department of Transportation, and The Nature Conservancy. Although the book primarily features North American studies (United States and Canada), examples of road effects worldwide are included. The book is extensively referenced and well-written; technical jargon is largely absent. Illustrations include photographs and clearly drawn graphs and schematics, many adapted from previously published literature.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationRowland, Mary M. 2004. On the road: workable solutions to the problems of roads and highways. The Prairie Naturalist. 36(3): 198-200
- Effectiveness of best management practices that have application to forest roads: a literature synthesis
- Natural History of Oregon Coast Mammals
- Forest roads: a synthesis of scientific information.
XML: View XML