Skip to Main Content
Estimation and application of a growth and yield model for uneven-aged mixed conifer stands in California.Author(s): Jingjing Liang; J. Buongiorno; R.A. Monserud
Source: International Forestry Review. 7(2): 101-112
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: Download Publication (1.2 MB)
DescriptionA growth model for uneven-aged mixed-conifer stands in California was developed with data from 205 permanent plots. The model predicts the number of softwood and hardwood trees in nineteen diameter classes, based on equations for diameter growth rates, mortality arid recruitment. The model gave unbiased predictions of the expected number of trees by diameter class and species group over eight to twelve years, on 28 validation plots that were not used in model estimation. The results of predictions of undisturbed growth over more than a century were consistent with previous knowledge about succession and productivity in this forest type. The growth model, embedded in the CalPro simulator, was applied to project the effects of managing stands to maintain the current average stand state over the observed plots, with cutting cycles of ten or twenty years. The results suggested that uneven-aged management could match the productivity of even-aged systems. The ten-year cutting cycle led to higher productivity, higher present value of harvests, higher tree species diversity but lower tree size diversity than the twenty-year cycle.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLiang, Jingjing; Buongiorno, J.; Monserud, R.A. 2005. Estimation and application of a growth and yield model for uneven-aged mixed conifer stands in California. International Forestry Review. 7(2): 101-112
Keywordsmixed species, growth, mortality, recruitment, uneven-aged
- CalPro: a spreadsheet program for the management of California mixed-conifer stands.
- SouthPro : a computer program for managing uneven-aged loblolly pine stands
- WestPro: a computer program for simulating uneven-aged Douglas-fir stand growth and yield in the Pacific Northwest.
XML: View XML