Skip to Main Content
Site disturbances associated with alternative prescriptions in an upland hardwood forest of northern AlabamaAuthor(s): Emily Carter; Robert B. Rummer; Bryce Stokes
Source: Proceedings: 1997 ASAE [American Society of Agricultural Engineers] annual international meeting; 1997 August 10-14; Minneapolis, MN. St. Joseph, MI: American Society of Agricultural Engineers; 975013: 18p.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (265 KB)
DescriptionA study was installed in an upland hardwood forest to evaluate the site impacts associated with three alternative prescriptions --- clearcut, deferment cut, and strip cut. Two methods of site impact assessment were employed: 1) assignment of disturbance classes to selected points within each treatment area; and 2) measurement of soil bulk density, gravimetric water content, and soil strength at points previously evaluated for soil disturbance class. Clearcut and deferment cut treatments produced the greatest impacts, as evidenced by higher percentage of slightly and highly disturbed areas and increases in bulk density and soil strength. Strip cut treatments had less impact on a stand-wide basis but cut strips experienced similar impacts.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationCarter, Emily; Rummer, Robert B.; Stokes, Bryce. 1997. Site disturbances associated with alternative prescriptions in an upland hardwood forest of northern Alabama. Proceedings: 1997 ASAE [American Society of Agricultural Engineers] annual international meeting; 1997 August 10-14; Minneapolis, MN. St. Joseph, MI: American Society of Agricultural Engineers; 975013: 18p.
- Strips, Clearcuts, And Deferment Cuts: Harvest Costs And Site Impacts For Alternative Prescriptions In Upland Hardwoods
- Evaluation of site impacts associated with three silvicultural prescriptions in an upland hardwood stand in northern Alabama, USA
- Assessing soil impacts related to forest harvest operations
XML: View XML