Skip to Main Content
Growth, nitrogen fixation and mineral acquisition of Alnus sieboldiana after inoculation of Frankia together with Gigaspora margarita and Pseudomonas putida.Author(s): Takashi Yamanaka; Akio Akama; Ching-Yan Li; Hiroaki Okabe
Source: Journal of Forest Research. 10: 21-26
Publication Series: Scientific Journal (JRNL)
PDF: View PDF (640 KB)
DescriptionThe role of tetrapartite associations among Frankia, Gigaspora margarita (an arbuscular mycorrhizal fungus), Pseudomonas putida (rhizobacterium), and Alnus sieboldiana in growth, nitrogen fixation, and mineral acquisition of A. sieboldiana was investigated. Seedlings of A. sieboldiana were inoculated with Frankia isolated from root nodules of alder, followed by inoculation of G. margarita and P. putida, and were grown for 5 months in a greenhouse. The seedlings inoculated with Frankia and G. margarita together produced the highest biomass of shoots and root nodules. Nitrogen-fixation activity, measured by acetylene reduction assay, was observed when Frankia was inoculated. The activity, on a per-nodule gram basis, decreased after G. margarita inoculation, but on a per-plant basis there was no significant difference in the activity among inoculation treatments. The mineral content in the seedlings changed after inoculation with Frankia, but not after inoculation with P. putida and/or G. margarita. The results showed a synergistic interaction among Frankia, the mycorrhizal fungus, and the rhizobacterium on the growth of A. sieboldiana.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationYamanaka, Takashi; Akama, Akio; Li, Ching-Yan; Okabe, Hiroaki. 2005. Growth, nitrogen fixation and mineral acquisition of Alnus sieboldiana after inoculation of Frankia together with Gigaspora margarita and Pseudomonas putida. Journal of Forest Research. 10: 21-26
KeywordsAlnus, Frankia, Gigaspora, Pseudomonas, tetrapartite symbiosis
- Alnus acuminata in dual symbiosis with Frankia and two different ectomycorrhizal fungi (Alpova austroalnicola and Alpova diplophloeus) growing in soilless growth medium
- Ecosystem-level consequences of symbiont partnerships in an N-fixing shrub from interior Alaskan floodplains
- Phylogeny and assemblage composition of Frankia in Alnus tenuifolia nodules across a primary successional sere in interior Alaska
XML: View XML