Skip to Main Content
Due to a lapse in federal funding, this USDA website will not be actively updated. Once funding has been reestablished, online operations will continue.
Pinevol: a user's guide to a volume calculator for southern pinesAuthor(s): Daniel J. Leduc
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-95. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 12 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Southern Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2.14 MB)
DescriptionTaper functions describe a model of the actual geometric shape of a tree. When this shape is assumed to be known, volume by any log rule and to any merchantability standard can be calculated. PINEVOL is a computer program for calculating the volume of the major southern pines using species-specific bole taper functions. It can use the Doyle, Scribner, or International ¼-inch log rules or calculate solid wood volume inside or outside of bark. This document describes the methods used in volume calculation in PINEVOL and is a program user’s guide.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationLeduc, Daniel J. 2006. Pinevol: a user''s guide to a volume calculator for southern pines. Gen. Tech. Rep. SRS-95. Asheville, NC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Southern Research Station. 12 p.
KeywordsLoblolly pine, longleaf pine, shortleaf pine, slash pine, stem profile equations, taper functions
- Taper Functions for Predicting Product Volumes in Natural Shortleaf Pines
- Mesavage and Girard form class taper functions derived from profile equations
- Accurately determining log and bark volumes of saw logs using high-resolution laser scan data
XML: View XML