Skip to Main Content
Multiple species inventory and monitoring technical guideAuthor(s): P.N. Manley; B. Van Horne; J.K. Roth; W.J. Zielinski; M.M. McKenzie; T.J. Weller; F.W. Weckerly; C. Vojta
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-73. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Washington Office. 204 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Washington Office
View PDF (5.9 MB)
DescriptionThe National Forest Management Act (1976) recognizes the importance of maintaining species and community diversity on National Forest System (NFS) lands as a critical component of our ecological and cultural heritage. Monitoring is required of land management to assess the success of management activities in meeting legal, regulatory, and policy objectives, including sustaining populations of native and desired nonnative species. The Multiple Species Inventory and Monitoring (MSIM) protocol is intended to serve as a consistent and efficient method for obtaining basic presence/absence data and associated habitat condition data for a large number of individual species at sites that represent a probabilistic sample. It is designed to be implemented in association with Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) grid points on NFS lands. The MSIM protocol is designed as a base monitoring approach on which regions and forests can build to meet their specific National Forest Land and Resource Management Plan monitoring needs with the greatest possible efficiency (measured as the amount of useful and high-quality information gained per unit cost).
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationManley, P.N.; Van Horne, B.; Roth, J.K.; Zielinski, W.J.; McKenzie, M.M.; Weller, T.J.; Weckerly, F.W.; Vojta, C. 2006. Multiple species inventory and monitoring technical guide. Gen. Tech. Rep. WO-73. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Washington Office. 204 p.
Keywordsmultiple species, inventory and monitoring, National Forest Management Act, Multiple Species Inventory and Monitoring protocol, MSIM, Forest Inventory and Analysis, FIA
- The Multiple Species Inventory and Monitoring Protocol: A Population, Community, and Biodiversity Monitoring Solution for National Forest System Lands
- Northern goshawk inventory and monitoring technical guide
- Overview of the National Inventory and Monitoring Applications Center (NIMAC)
XML: View XML