Skip to Main Content
Population trends of red-cockaded woodpeckers in TexasAuthor(s): Richard N. Conner; Daniel Saenz; D. Craig Rudolph
Source: Bulletin of the Texas Ornithological Society. 39(2):42-48
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (564 KB)
Descriptiontracked population trends of Red-cockaded Woodpeckers (Picoides borealis) in eastern Texas from 1983 through 2004. After declining precipitously during the 1980s, woodpecker population trends on federal lands (National Forests and Grasslands in Texas, but excluding the Big Thicket National Preserve) increased between 1990 and 2000, and have been stable to slightly decreasing over the past four years. Litigation against the U.S. Forest Service in the mid 1980s reversed a severe population decline, whereas litigation during the past 8 years hampered recovery efforts for the Red-cockaded Woodpecker. Red-cockaded Woodpecker populations on private and State of Texas lands have steadily declined over he past 15 years, most likely the result of demographic isolation. Limited availability of old pines suitable for cavity excavation, inadequate fire regimes to control hardwood midstory, and demographic dysfunction resulting from woodpecker group isolation remain as significant obstacles to recovery in most populations.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationConner, Richard N.; Saenz, Daniel; Rudolph, D. Craig. 2006. Population trends of red-cockaded woodpeckers in Texas. Bulletin of the Texas Ornithological Society. 39(2):42-48.
- Red-cockaded woodpecker population trends and management on Texas national forests
- Status of the Red-cockaded Woodpecker in Texas, 1985-1987
- Reintroduction and postrelease movements of red-cockaded woodpecker groups in eastern Texas
XML: View XML