Skip to Main Content
Interim definitions for old growth Douglas-fir and mixed-conifer forests in the Pacific Northwest and California.Author(s): J.F. Franklin; F. Hall; W. Laudenslayer; C. Maser; J. Nunan; J. Poppino; C.J. Ralph; T. Spies
Source: Res. Note PNW-RN-447. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 15 p.
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (224 KB)
DescriptionInterim definitions of old-growth forests are provided to guide efforts in land-management planning until comprehensive definitions based on research that is currently underway can be formulated. The basic criteria for identifying old-growth Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii (Mirb.) Franco) and mixed-conifer forests in western Washington and Oregon and California are given.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationFranklin, J.F.; Hall, F.; Laudenslayer, W.; Maser, C.; Nunan, J.; Poppino, J.; Ralph, C.J.; Spies, T. 1986. Interim definitions for old growth Douglas-fir and mixed-conifer forests in the Pacific Northwest and California. Res. Note PNW-RN-447. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 15 p.
KeywordsOld growth, old-growth stands, mixed stands, Coniferae, Pacific North-west, California
- Tree microhabitat structures as indicators of biodiversity in Douglas-fir forests of different stand ages and management histories in the Pacific Northwest, U.S.A.
- Potential canopy interception of nitrogen in the Pacific Northwest, USA
- Nest site characteristics of Hammond's and Pacific-slope flycatchers in northwest California
XML: View XML