Skip to Main Content
An improved method of chemical analysis for low levels of nitrogen in forest streams or in rainwater.Author(s): Elly E. Holcombe; Duane G. Moore; Richard L. Fredriksen
Source: Res. Note. PNW-RN-449. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 12 p
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (301 KB)
DescriptionA modification of the macro-Kjeldahl method that provides increased sensitivity was developed for determining very low levels of nitrogen in forest streams and in rain-water. The method is suitable as a routine laboratory procedure. Analytical range of the method is 0.02 to 1.5 mg/L with high recovery and excellent precision and ac-curacy. The range can be increased to include higher levels of nitrogen by dilution of samples at time of Nesslerization, or by using smaller volumes of samples at the start of the analysis.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHolcombe, Elly E.; Moore, Duane G.; Fredriksen, Richard L. 1986. An improved method of chemical analysis for low levels of nitrogen in forest streams or in rainwater. Res. Note. PNW-RN-449. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 12 p
KeywordsChemical analysis, nitrogen, water analysis, laboratory methods
- Effect of operational fertilization on foliar nutritent content and growth of young Douglas-fir and Pacific silver fir.
- The influence of residue removal and prescribed fire on distributions of forest nutrients.
- Total carbon and nitrogen in mineral soil after 26 years of prescribed fire: Long Valley and Fort Valley Experimental Forests (P-53)
XML: View XML