Skip to Main Content
A spruce budworm sampling program for HUSKY HUNTER field data recorders.Author(s): Fred H. Schmidt
Source: Res. Note. PNW-RN-511. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 22 p
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
View PDF (696 KB)
DescriptionA program for receiving sampling data for all immature stages of the western spruce budworm (Choristoneura occidentals Freeman) is described. Versions were designed to be used on field data recorders with either CP/M or DOS operating systems, such as the HUSKY HUNTER (Models 1, 2, and 16), but they also may be used on personal computers with compatible operating systems. The algorithm for the program was derived, primarily, from the findings of Srivastava and others (1984). The program allows the user to review the current plot statistics, including sampling precision, at any time while still sampling the plot. It also allows the user to determine how many more trees need to be sampled to arrive at a sampling precision specified by the user. The program has been used for 4 years by the author to monitor budworm densities on research plots.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchmidt, Fred H. 1992. A spruce budworm sampling program for HUSKY HUNTER field data recorders. Res. Note. PNW-RN-511. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 22 p
KeywordsSampling program, western spruce budworm, HUSKY HUNTER, field data recorders
- DFSIM with economics: A financial analysis option for the DFSIM Douglas-fir simulator.
- Analysis Tools (AT)
- Sampling western spruce budworm by counting larvae on lower crown branches.
XML: View XML