Skip to Main Content
Guidance on spatial wildland fire analysis: models, tools, and techniquesAuthor(s): Richard D. Stratton
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-183. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 15 p.
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Rocky Mountain Research Station
View PDF (2.2 MB)
DescriptionThere is an increasing need for spatial wildland fire analysis in support of incident management, fuel treatment planning, wildland-urban assessment, and land management plan development. However, little guidance has been provided to the field in the form of training, support, or research examples. This paper provides guidance to fire managers, planners, specialists, and analysts in the use of "models" (FARSITE, FlamMap, RERAP-Term), tools/programs (KCFAST, RAWS, FireFamily Plus, WindWizard), and procedures for spatial fire analysis. The approach includes a brief discussion about models and their assumptions and limitations, historical fire and weather analysis, landscape file data acquisition and development, landscape file and model output critique, and model calibration.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationStratton, Richard D. 2006. Guidance on spatial wildland fire analysis: models, tools, and techniques. Gen. Tech. Rep. RMRS-GTR-183. Fort Collins, CO: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station. 15 p.
KeywordsCalibration, FARSITE, FireFamily Plus, Fire History, Fire Modeling, Fire Weather, FlamMap, Fuel Treatment, Gridded Wind, Hazard/Risk Assessment, Landscape Analysis, RAWS, RERAP, WindWizard
- Guidebook on LANDFIRE fuels data acquisition, critique, modification, maintenance, and model calibration
- SIMPPLLE, version 2.5 user's guide
- Developing standardized strategic response categories for fire management units
XML: View XML