Skip to Main Content
Herbicides for shrub and weed tree control in western Oregon.Author(s): H. Gratkowski
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-077. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station: 1-48
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (4.3 MB)
DescriptionHerbicides were tested on 16 common shrubs and weed trees during the past 24 years. The woody plants included snowbrush ceanothus, deerbrush ceanothus, mountain whitethorn, varnishleaf ceanothus, sprouting and nonsprouting forms of greenleaf manzanita, hairy manzanita, hoary manzanita, golden chinkapin, golden evergreenchinkapin, Saskatoon serviceberry, Pacific madrone, salmonberry, western thimbleberry, scrub tanoak, and canyon live oak. Chemicals tested included 2,4-D, dichlorprop, 2,4,5-T, silvex, 2,4-DB, amitrole, amitrole-T, 2,3,6-TBA, AMS, picloram, KreniteTM, triclopyr, and an experimental carbamate compound. Low volatile esters of 2,4-D and 2,4,5-T proved the most effective and versatile herbicides for silvicultural use in western Oregon. Results of the screening tests are related to comparable data from small plot tests and project-scale aerial spray trials. To aid silviculturists, useful treatments and the most effective herbicide are shown in bold-face type for each shrub and weed tree.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGratkowski, H. 1978. Herbicides for shrub and weed tree control in western Oregon. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-077. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station: 1-48
Keywordsherbicides (-forest weed control, brush control, silvicultural Oregon (western)
- Fungi from foliage of Arctostaphylospatula, Castanopsis chrysophylla, and Ceanothus velutinus.
- Mechanical and chemical release treatments applied to a 16-year-old pine plantation
- Physical characteristics of some northern California brush fuels
XML: View XML