Skip to Main Content
A framework linkage map of perennial ryegrass based on SSR markersAuthor(s): G.P. Gill; P.L. Wilcox; D.J. Whittaker; R.A. Winz; P. Bickerstaff; Craig E. Echt; J. Kent; M.O. Humphreys; K.M. Elborough; R.C. Gardner
Source: Genome, Vol. 49: 354-364
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (1.20 MB)
DescriptionA moderate-density linkage map for Lolium perenne L. has been constructed based on 376 simple sequence repeat (SSR) markers. Approximately one third ( 124) of the SSR markers were developed from GeneThresher libraries that preferentially select genomic DNA clones from the gene-rich unmethylated portion of the genome. The remaining SSR marker loci were generated from either SSR-enriched genomic libraries (247) or ESTs ( 5 ) . Forty-five percent of the GeneThresher SSRs were associated with an expressed gene. Unlike EST-derived SSR markers. GeneThresher SSRs were often associated with genes expressed at a low level, such as transcription factors. The map constructed here fulfills 2 definitions of a "framework map". Firstly, it is composed of codominant markers to ensure map transferability either within or among species. Secondly, it was constructed to achieve a level of statistical confidence in the support-for-order of marker loci. The map consists of 81 framework SSR markers spread over 7 linkage groups, the same as the haploid chromosome number. Most of the remaining 295 SSR markers have been placed into their most likely interval on the framework map. Nine RFLP markers and 1 SSR marker from another map constructed using the same pedigree were also incorporated to extend genome coverage at the terminal ends of 5 linkage groups. The final map provides a robust framework with which to conduct investigations into the genetic architecture of trait variation in this commercially important grass species.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGill, G.P.; Wilcox, P.L.; Whittaker, D.J.; Winz, R.A.; Bickerstaff, P.; Echt, Craig E.; Kent, J.; Humphreys, M.O.; Elborough, K.M.; Gardner, R.C. 2006. A framework linkage map of perennial ryegrass based on SSR markers. Genome, Vol. 49: 354-364
KeywordsFramework map, perennial ryegrass, SSR, simple sequence repeat, GeneThresher, Lolium perenne
- Association of candidate genes with drought tolerance traits in diverse perennial ryegrass accessions
- Candidate gene association mapping for winter survival and spring regrowth in perennial ryegrass
- Behavior Performance of Diuraphis noxia (Homoptera: Aphididae) on Fungal Endophyte-Infected and Uninfected Perennial Ryegrass
XML: View XML