Skip to Main Content
Markers linked to vegetative incompatibility (vic) genes and a region of high heterogeneity and reduced recombination near the mating type locus (MAT) in Cryphonectria parasiticaAuthor(s): Thomas L. Kubisiak; Michael g. Milgroom
Source: Fungal Genetics and Biology, Vol. 43: 453-463
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.25 MB)
DescriptionTo find markers linked to vegetative incompatibility (vic) genes in the chestnut blight fungus, Cryphonectria parasitica, we constructed a preliminary linkage map. In general, this map is characterized by low levels of polymorphism, as evident from the more than 24 linkage groups observed, compared to seven expected from electrophoretic karyotyping. Nonetheless, we found markers closely linked to two vic genes (vicl and vic2) making them candidates for positional cloning. Two markers were found to be linked to vic2: one cosegregated with utc2, i-e., it is 0.0 cM from vic2, the other was at a distance of 4.5 cM; a single marker was found 4.0 cM from vicl. The closest markers linked to three other Vic genes (vic4, vic6, and vic7) were >15 cM away; additional markers are needed before efficient positional cloning of these three vic genes can be realized. In contrast to the low levels of polymorphism observed across most of the C. parasitica genome, the linkage group containing the MAT locus appears to harbor an extremely high level of RAPD heterogeneity and reduced recombination. Markers within this highly heterogeneous region are in linkage disequilibrium in some natural populations; however, recombination is clearly evident between this region and the MAT locus.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationKubisiak, Thomas L.; Milgroom, Michael g. 2006. Markers linked to vegetative incompatibility (vic) genes and a region of high heterogeneity and reduced recombination near the mating type locus (MAT) in Cryphonectria parasitica. Fungal Genetics and Biology, Vol. 43: 453-463
Keywordschestnut blight, recombinational linkage map, RAPD, SCAR, EST, consegregation, suppressed recombination, heterogeneity, linkage disequilibrium
- A genetic linkage map for hazelnut (Corylus avellana L.) based on RAPD and SSR markerswac
- Mapping resistance to Phytophthora cinnamomi in chestnut (Castanea sp.)
- Polymorphic sequence-characterized codominant loci in the chestnut blight fungus, Cryphonectria parasitica
XML: View XML