Skip to Main Content
Hampton at Willamina is #1 : Seneca, Weyerhaeuser mills followAuthor(s): Henry Spelter
Source: Timber processing. (July/Aug. 2003): pages 68-71.
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: Download Publication (800 KB)
DescriptionApproximately 720 sawmills produce most of the softwood lumber in the U.S. The largest 200 of these, ranked mostly according to 2002 production, are displayed in the table on the ensuing pages. Where the actual production statistic was not released, it was estimated by subtracting from capacity any lost volume due to downtime. In a few instances where neither production nor indications of downtime were available, capacity was used to compile the listing. This year the Hampton mill in Willamina, Ore. came out on top. According to a company source the 385MMBF output would have been even greater but for some downtime taken during the year. The highly regarded independent producer Seneca Sawmill in Eugene, Ore. came in second. It, however, dropped its third shift in April 2003. Weyerhaeuser’s Cottage Grove, Ore. complex rounds out the top three. The long-time leader, the Simpson complex in Shelton, Wash., was estimated to have fallen to fourth due in part to downtime taken in the course of the year.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSpelter, Henry. 2003. Hampton at Willamina is #1 : Seneca, Weyerhaeuser mills follow. Timber processing. (July/Aug. 2003): pages 68-71.
KeywordsSawmills, industrial capacity, statistics, softwoods, economic aspects
- Roseburg repeat : Roseburg Forest Products' sawmill at Dillard, Ore was the biggest producer in a year that ended with a whimper
- Hampton Mill maintains title : top twelve producer mills are in Northwest
- Minor shake up : markets were soft, but the big mills still packed some production punch
XML: View XML