Skip to Main Content
Economic impacts of interregional competition in the forest products industry during the 1970's: the South and the Pacific Northwest.Author(s): Con H. Schallau; Wilbur R. Maki
Source: Res. Pap. PNW-RP-350. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 52 p
Publication Series: Research Paper (RP)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (2.45 MB)
DescriptionUntil the 1970's, the Pacific Northwest dominated national markets for softwood lumber and plywood. During the 1970's, however, the region's share declined while production increased in the South. Meanwhile, the South's and the Pacific Northwest's shares of the Nation's employment in lumber and wood products declined. This resulted mainly from the increase in lumber imports from Canada and the construction of new, state-of-the-art plywood mills in the South. Trends in Canada and the South suggest that the Pacific Northwest could regain its dominant position as the supplier of solid softwood products. Although employment in the forest products industry will unlikely return to past levels, the industry will continue to play an important role in the region's economic growth and development.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationSchallau, Con H.; Maki, Wilbur R. 1986. Economic impacts of interregional competition in the forest products industry during the 1970''s: the South and the Pacific Northwest. Res. Pap. PNW-RP-350. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Forest and Range Experiment Station. 52 p
Keywordseconomic impact, interregional competition, economics (forest products industries), shift-share analysis, Canada, Pacific Northwest, South
- The rise and fall of the Pacific Northwest log export market.
- Production, prices, employment, and trade in Northwest forest industries, all quarters 1998.
- Production, prices, employment, and trade in Northwest forest industries, all quarters 2008
XML: View XML