Skip to Main Content
Conservation of Louisiana's coastal wetland forestsAuthor(s): Jim L. Chambers; Richard F. Keim; William H. Conner; John W. Jr. Day; Stephen P. Faulkner; Emile S. Gardiner; Melinda s. Hughes; Sammy L. King; Kenneth W. McLeod; Craig A. Miller; J. Andrew Nyman; Gary P. Shaffer
Source: In: Proceedings of Louisiana Natural Resources Symposium: 117-135
Publication Series: Miscellaneous Publication
PDF: View PDF (1.42 MB)
DescriptionLarge-scale efforts to protect and restore coastal wetlands and the concurrent renewal of forest harvesting in cypress-tupelo swamps have brought new attention to Louisiana's coastal wetland forests in recent years. Our understanding of these coastal wetland forests has been limited by inadequate data and the lack of a comprehensive review of existing information. The importance of these forests is now being recognized and the loss and degradation of the ecosystem functions and services provided by Louisiana's coastal wetland forests is significant. Since Louisiana's coastal wetland forests are of tremendous economic, ecological, cultural, and recreational value to Louisiana, the country, and the world, the Louisiana Governor's office commissioned a Science Working Group to examine these forests and make recommendations for their conservation, protection and use. This paper summarizes the report findings and provides recommendations for what state government, professional foresters, research scientists, landowners, and the public can do to ensure the sustainability of Louisiana's coastal wetland forests well into the future.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationChambers, Jim L.; Keim, Richard F.; Conner, William H.; Day, John W. Jr.; Faulkner, Stephen P.; Gardiner, Emile S.; Hughes, Melinda s.; King, Sammy L.; McLeod, Kenneth W.; Miller, Craig A.; Nyman, J. Andrew; Shaffer, Gary P. 2006. Conservation of Louisiana''s coastal wetland forests. In: Proceedings of Louisiana Natural Resources Symposium: 117-135
- Towards sustainable management of Louisiana's coastal wetland forests: problems, constraints, and a new beginning
- An integrated monitoring approach using multiple reference sites to assess sustainable restoration in coastal Louisiana
- Ecological consequences of changing hydrological conditions in wetland forests of coastal Louisiana
XML: View XML