Skip to Main Content
The forest ecosystem of southeast Alaska: 1. The setting.Author(s): Arland S. Harris; O. Keith Hutchison; William R. Meehan; Douglas N. Swanston; Austin E. Helmers; John C. Hendee; Thomas M. Collins
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-012. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 46 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (1.81 MB)
DescriptionA description of the discovery and exploration of southeast Alaska sets the scene for a discussion of the physical and biological features of this region. Subjects discussed include geography, climate, vegetation types, geology, minerals, forest products, soils, fish, wildlife, water, recreation, and aesthetic values. This is the first of a series of publications summarizing present knowledge of southeast Alaska's forest resources. Publications will follow which discuss in detail the subjects mentioned above and how this information can be helpful in managing the resources.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHarris, Arland S.; Hutchison, O. Keith; Meehan, William R.; Swanston, Douglas N.; Helmers, Austin E.; Hendee, John C.; Collins, Thomas M. 1974. The forest ecosystem of southeast Alaska: 1. The setting. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-012. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 46 p
Keywordsforest surveys, Alaska, resource planning, research
- Social acceptability of alternatives to clearcutting: discussion and literature review with emphasis on southeast Alaska.
- The forest ecosystem of southeast Alaska: 9. Timber inventory, harvesting, marketing, and trends.
- The forest ecosystem of southeast Alaska: 7. Forest ecology and timber management.
XML: View XML