Skip to Main Content
The forest ecosystem of southeast Alaska: 9. Timber inventory, harvesting, marketing, and trends.Author(s): O. Keith Hutchison; Vernon J. LaBau
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-034. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 63 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: Download Publication (1.92 MB)
DescriptionSoutheast Alaska has 11.2 million acres of forest land, of which 4.9 million acres are considered commercial. This commercial acreage supports 166 billion board feet of sawtimber. These primarily old-growth stands of Sitka spruce and western hemlock are supporting a growing wood products industry that ranks first in the southeast economy and third in the State. This report summarizes current knowledge of the timber resource (areas, volumes, growth, mortality, quality, productivity, and trends) from the initial inventory, a partial remeasurement, and a second inventory now in progress. Historical data of wood products use, output, value, and markets are given and discussed. The report gives sources for much published and unpublished information for those who need to pursue these subjects more completely.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationHutchison, O. Keith; LaBau, Vernon J. 1975. The forest ecosystem of southeast Alaska: 9. Timber inventory, harvesting, marketing, and trends. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-034. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 63 p
Keywordsresources (forest), timber operations (general), timber marketing
- Forest resources of southeast Alaska, 2000: results of a single-phase systematic sample.
- Southeast Alaska forests: inventory highlights.
- Coastal Alaska’s forest resources, 2004–2013: Ten-year Forest Inventory and Analysis report
XML: View XML