Skip to Main Content
Silvicultural use of herbicides in Pacific Northwest forests.Author(s): H. Gratkowski
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-037. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 50 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
PDF: View PDF (2.00 MB)
DescriptionAfter a brief description of silvicultural problems, the author tells how to prescribe herbicidal sprays for aerial, application in Pacific Northwest forests. The publication offers a detailed discussion of the five basic considerations: (1) selection of the best herbicide or herbicides, (2) amount of herbicide to be applied per acre, (3) carriers, (4) volume of spray per acre, and (5) seasons for application of aerial sprays. Appendixes provide standard treatments for many common silvicultural problems in site preparation and to release young conifers from shrub and weed tree competition. Also included is a glossary of agricultural chemical terms and a list of abbreviations used in brush control literature. This is a working manual for silviculturists based upon more than 20 years research and experience of Federal, State, and industrial foresters. It provides much information not generally available in the literature and tells how to use this knowledge in Pacific Northwest silviculture. Although designed primarily for the Pacific Northwest, the basic information should be useful in culture of coniferous forests far outside this region.
- You may send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationGratkowski, H. 1975. Silvicultural use of herbicides in Pacific Northwest forests. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-037. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 50 p
Keywordsherbicide preparations, silvicultural control, management (forest)
- Assessment and management of animal damage in Pacific Northwest forests: an annotated bibliography.
- A research framework for natural resource-based communities in the Pacific Northwest.
- Ecophysiological parameters for Pacific Northwest trees.
XML: View XML