Skip to Main Content
Red alder kitchen cabinets—How does application of commercial stains influence customer choice?Author(s): David Nicholls; Joseph Roos
Source: Res. Note PNW-RN-556. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 9 p
Publication Series: Research Note (RN)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (1.50 MB)
DescriptionA better understanding of consumer reaction and preferences for red alder (Alnus rubra Bong.) secondary products will help Alaska producers in entering new markets. In this study, red alder kitchen cabinets were commercially stained to six different levels and displayed at home shows in Portland, Oregon, and Anchorage, Alaska. The stains simulated the appearance of six commercial species. Respondents indicated their preferred cabinet doors, under the assumption of remodeling their kitchen. Brighter shades of stain were generally more popular than the three darkest shades. There were no statistically significant differences in preferences between male and female respondents. The influence of market location was found to be highly significant for unstained and for maple stained cabinets. These results indicate a strong potential for red alder to be commercially stained to a wide range of appearances, targeting different demographic groups.
- Visit PNW's Publication Request Page to request a hard copy of this publication.
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationNicholls, David; Roos, Joseph. 2007. Red alder kitchen cabinets—How does application of commercial stains influence customer choice?. Res. Note PNW-RN-556. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 9 p
KeywordsRed alder, cabinets, commercial stain, consumer preference, Alaska forest products
- Consumer preferences for kitchen cabinets made from red alder: a comparison to other hardwoods.
- Red alder potential in Alaska
- Red alder: a state of knowledge.
XML: View XML