Skip to Main Content
Status of the interior Columbia Basin: summary of scientific findings.Author(s): Forest Service U.S. Department of Agriculture
Source: Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-385. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 151 p
Publication Series: General Technical Report (GTR)
Station: Pacific Northwest Research Station
Download Publication (12.0 MB)
DescriptionThe Status of the Interior Columbia Basin is a summary of the scientific findings from the Interior Columbia Basin Ecosystem Management Project. The Interior Columbia Basin includes some 145 million acres within the northwestern United Stales. Over 75 million acres of this area are managed by the USDA Forest Service or the USDI Bureau of Land Management. A framework for ecosystem management is described that assumes the broad purpose is to maintain the integrity of ecosystems over time and space. An integrated scientific assessment links landscape, aquatic, terrestrial, social, and economic characterizations to describe the biophysical and social systems. Ecosystem conditions within the Basin have changed substantially within the last 100 years. The status of ecosystems is described in terms of current conditions and trends under three broadly defined management options. The scientific information brought forward will be used in decision-making, and may potentially amend Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management plans within the Basin. The information highlighted here represents an integrated view of biophysical and socioeconomic elements at a scale never before attempted. The risks and opportunities arc characterized in the broad context of the Basin for managers and the public to use as a foundation for discussion about future management.
- You may send email to email@example.com to request a hard copy of this publication.
- (Please specify exactly which publication you are requesting and your mailing address.)
- We recommend that you also print this page and attach it to the printout of the article, to retain the full citation information.
- This article was written and prepared by U.S. Government employees on official time, and is therefore in the public domain.
CitationU.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service. 1996. Status of the interior Columbia Basin: summary of scientific findings. Gen. Tech. Rep. PNW-GTR-385. Portland, OR: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Northwest Research Station. 151 p
Keywordsecosystem assessment, ecosystem management, ecosystem integrity, risk analysis
- Integrated scientific assessment for ecosystem management in the interior Columbia Basin and portions of the Klamath and Great Basins.
- Potential vegetation hierarchy for the Blue Mountains section of northeastern Oregon, southeastern Washington, and west-central Idaho.
- Evaluation of EIS alternatives by the science integration team, volume I.
XML: View XML